Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Easy Scrappy Patchwork Baby Quilt Tutorial



This baby quilt was made from both my scraps and my stash.  I tried to use mostly low-volume prints and the background solid is Kona Snow (I've been using the leftover solid from this quilt but I actually think I prefer Kona Oyster now which I used in this one.)  Note:  The measurements are based on a scant 1/4" seam throughout.


1.  Choose 16 different fabrics and cut strips measuring 3" x 18".



2.   Sew together in groups of 4.


3.  Cut into 6 - 3" strips.  Keep the strips in individual piles.


4.  Take one strip from each pile and make 5 blocks (you'll have one strip leftover in each pile - set those aside for now.)  Trim to 10.5" square.

5.  Fussy cut 4 novelty prints.  You can use any size that makes sense for the print you are using but each fabric should be somewhere between 2.5" and 5" (square or rectangle.)



6.  Your goal is to end up with a 10.5" square block with the solid fabric framing the print.  Measure your print - for this example, let's say your print is 3" square and you want it off-center.  Take a strip of solid fabric that is also 3" wide and sew a 2.5" piece to the top of the print and a 5.5" piece to the bottom.  Since you are stitching together 3 pieces of fabric, you want it to measure 1" more than your finished size to account for the seam allowances where you stitch them together - basically you add 1/2" for every place where two fabrics are stitched together.



7.  Next, you want to calculate what you need to add on either side to end up with a 10.5" block.  Still using the 3" square print as an example, you would want to add a 10.5" x 5.25" piece on one side and a
10.5 x 2.5" piece to the other.  Hope this makes sense (and that my math is right!)  Trim block to 10.5" (your block might not need to be trimmed - mine usually do since I always use a bit more fabric to be sure that I don't end up with a too-small block.)

8.  Arrange your blocks in the order shown below.  Sew together in rows of 3 and then sew the 3 rows together.  Take the leftover strips from step #4.  Take one of the strips and unpick the seam so that you have only two squares remaining.  Cut a piece of solid fabric 3" x 5.5" and sew it to the two squares.  Choose two other strips and sew together one long line of squares and sew the strip to the top of the quilt as shown below.  Use the remaining strips for the quilt back or save for another project.



9.  Quilt it, bind it, and your done!





Linking to Sew Cute Tuesday and Finish it Up Friday.

26 comments:

  1. This is so adorable! I love the little sheep. :) Thanks for the tutorial! I'm going to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet quilt. I love that it is asymmetrical. And nice succinct tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a gorgeous quilt! I just love the sheep. Oh I just saw someone else said that too, but it's sooooo cute! Thanks for the tutorial :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. adorable, this is such a sweet little quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I think that you are a genius! How simple is this? And so adorable. A really great tutorial.
    Linda F.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quilt is sooo cute! I love the fussy cut of the sheep. Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a very original quilt! I really love your fabric (ha ha , have the same waiting for quilt-time)
    Esther
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely lovely, and you make it sound so simple! It really is fantastic, very different and striking. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice tutorial and pretty quilt! I like how you do it fairly fast and easy with the piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's really a sweet quilt, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this tutorial. Very cute quilt and can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great tutorial for a pretty quilt - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this one, Beth! Such a great idea for a tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great fabric choices and a terrific easy tutorial. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! I really appreciate your tutorial too - even simple things need explanations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice! Thanks for sharing ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely beautiful! I'm sure it will be well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a charming quilt. Thanks for the instructions on how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, it is so wonderful. Low volume is now my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love this idea, to highlight special prints! I may need to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks amazing! Great job and super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adorable quilt and great tutorial! I love those fussy cut squares surrounded by white!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!