When I started this blog three years ago, I never thought that I would be writing a post about a book that lists me as one of the authors. And I never could have imagined when I met Janice soon after I started blogging, that we would one year later be taking on this project together. But 1,000,000 texts, emails, and phone calls later plus the quilts of 9 awesome contributors, our book, The Modern Medallion Workbook, is here.
Before I get to my quilt, I want to tell you a bit more The Modern Medallion Workbook (skip to the bottom of this post for the giveaway):
- it includes detailed patterns and illustrations for 11 medallion quilts designed by 11 different designers
- the quilts vary in style from modern-tradition to vintage modern to modern
- the quilts also vary in complexity
- the book contains a special techniques section with detailed instructions for paper piecing, piecing curves, and piecing flying geese.
- there is a coloring page for each of the 11 quilts that you can use to figure out the color scheme and fabric placement of your version (you can also scan it and color it in digitally as Janice did in her post.)
- the book provides information on designing your own unique medallion quilt; there are instructions on how to measure and determine block size to mix and match the included borders and centers to create your own layout.
-the book also contains ideas for mixing and matching the borders and centers as well as ideas for making "non-medallion" quilts using just the borders or the centers.
This is the June Medallion, my contribution to the book (can you guess where I got the name?) It is pieced improvisationally with lots of negative space. I also decided to treat the binding as one of the borders and pieced together small pieces of many of the fabrics from the quilt to make it.
The contributors have been posting about their quilts over the past two weeks and I'll link to their posts so you can see more photos from the book and learn about their quilts. Here are a couple of the other quilts from the book:
|by Kerry Green|
|by Amy Sinibaldi|
Amy Sinibaldi from Nana Company
Erica Jackman from Kitchen Table Quilting
Janice Zeller Ryan from better off thread
Karen Anderson-Abraham from blooming poppies
Christina Lane from The Sometimes Crafter
Rebecca Bryan from Bryan House Quilts
Latifah Saafir from Latifah Saafir Studios
Melissa Richie from We Shall Sew
Our publisher, C&T/Stash, is giving away a copy of The Modern Medallion Workbook to one lucky winner (hard copy if the winner is in the U.S., digital copy for all others.) To enter just leave a comment on this post. The giveaway is open until May 29th at 8pm ET and a winner will be chosen at random. There are also giveaways for the book still open on some of the blogs listed above.*this post contains affiliate links