Friday, May 17, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival 2



One of my favorite finishes of all time is this quilt I made for when my littlest (19 months) moves into a bed.  I had intended for it to be a long term project since I started it almost a year in advance but at some point I got very motivated and finished it.




Before I began blogging (in February of 2012), I didn't have much of a fabric stash.  But once I started reading and writing about quilting/sewing and sewing more as a result, I began to spend a bit too much time fabric shopping.  For some reason, I bought lots of novelty prints and those accounted for the majority of my stash.  I've since balanced it out and only buy novelty prints that I absolutely love but since I had a good number of fun fabrics, I figured I'd highlight them in the quilt.


I started by fussy cutting the prints and then bordered each of them with Kona snow (and sometimes Kona oyster or similar.)  And then I did another border using a colorful print followed by another border of snow (by this time, I bought a few yards of Kona snow so I was able to stay consistent.)  Then taking the leftover strips of the prints and more of the solid, I improv pieced it together.



I did a loopy FMQ and put together a bright and colorful back as well as a scrappy binding and finished it with several months to spare.




To see the other quilts in the Blogger's Quilt Festival, click here.

33 comments:

  1. This is still one of my all time favourite quilts. Love every last aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt is so adorable, Beth! I have all the fabric for my son's big boy bed quilt, but I've hesitated to start because it's so far in the future, but looking at your daughter's, I might just change my mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looooove this quilt. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is beautiful! I bet it is well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt so much and I am amazed that it's so huge and you finished it. I have a pile of framed i-spy block that never became a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so pretty! I really like novelty prints too, but it is hard to use them sometimes. You are so on the ball, I still need to make a quilt for my son's big boy bed and he is almost 3.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooo cute! I can't get enough of novelty fabrics, yours are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fall in love with this quilt more every time I see it - just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That really is one of the most fantastic quilts I have ever seen, I absolutely love it. Clever you, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I love everything about it! What a great way to use the novelty prints.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a really great quilt. I love how happy and scrappy it is while it still looks so cohesive. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This quilt is amazing. I love how you have used all the different novelty prints.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see why it is your favorite. It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is wonderful and I love the back too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a great quilt! So perfect for a little person :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The scrappy binding is my favorite part of this quilt. What a great design to use those novelty prints. I am very fond of buying them myself:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this one - it looks like a collection of stamps and postcards and wonderful travel memories... very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the randomly framed fussy cuts :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So scrappy and happy!!! And what a fun way to feature all of those novelty prints.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's like a wall of lovely pictures - a perfect small person quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. this quilt is simply stunning. what a treasure - and so special to have all of these fabrics in one happy place. i love this quilt! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is just lovely. Love all the variety in it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous! Love all the borders and the way you impoved it together!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so fun and whimsical! I love novelty fabrics and I love what you did with yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a fantastic quilt - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How fun and random is your quilt. I love it's modern touch with whimsical and funky fabrics! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lucky little girl! It is fantastical!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!