So, if you have read any of my recent posts, you probably know that I co-authored a book about medallion quilts (by the way, there is a giveaway still open until tomorrow night to win a copy of the book in this post.) In the book, I write a little bit about how the book came to be and how I became interested in medallion quilts. I really enjoy improv piecing, little planning, and designs with lots of room for error (especially for those days when I don't feel like being friends with the scant 1/4" seam) and the medallion quilts I have made (so far) incorporate those.
I made two medallion quilts while Janice and I were writing the book; the pattern in the book is for the other quilt (though there is a photo in there of this one.) I used the same triangle design in this quilt as in the quilt for the book and used negative space in a similar way. The big difference is the center - for this I freehand cut petal shapes and appliqued them to the background. I usually prefer raw edge applique but these are finished edge and hand-stitched. And then I made two rows of precise flying geese. I finished the quilt with matchstick quilting - I'm not sure that was my original plan but I just kept adding more lines and before I knew it . . . I washed the quilt before taking these photos today and wow, it crinkled in the dryer!
I should have taken a photo before putting in the wash but oops! Here is the photo from the book of the quilt in its pre-crinkle state.
The book is The Modern Medallion Workbook and you can read more about it in my previous post and you'll find the links to the blog tour so you can see the other quilts from the book (and there is a giveaway in that post that ends tomorrow (Friday) so there is still time to enter.) *to enter the giveaway, you need to click on the link to the previous post.
*this post contains affiliate links