I had already sashed all of the novelty fabrics in both a print and the kona snow so all that was left was putting it all together. And once I started, I just kept going. Improv piecing with no specific plan is really my favorite way of piecing. I just cut several strips of varying widths of kona snow and a handful of bright prints and then just randomly put it all together with the blocks.
Since I don't usually make quilts this large, I didn't have enough basting pins so instead I decided to thread baste and I think I will be doing so from now on. For me, it didn't take any longer than pin basting and I really liked not having to worry about mistakenly sewing over the pins when quilting.
I decided to stick with FMQ swirly loops for the quilting and quilted the novelty prints a bit less than the rest of the quilt. I used Aurifil 50wt in color 2600 - it is a light gray thread that I think works well with all the colors in this quilt.
I really enjoyed having a big project that I could work on in bits and pieces when I had the time. And now that it is finished, I've been thinking a lot about finding another project that I can slowly work on throughout the year. Of course, my other daughters want their own version of this quilt but well, I reminded them that they also know how to sew! Or maybe this could be something we can work on together!
Linking to A Lovely Year of Finishes and Crazy Mom Quilts.