Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The So Many Fun Fabrics Quilt

Back in November I shared a small version of a big quilt that I was planning on making slowly throughout 2013 for when my littlest moves into a bed.  Well, I have been slowly working on it since November but decided that my February sewing goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes was to finish half of the quilt top.  And then for some unknown reason last week, motivation struck and I finished not just the top but the entire quilt.


I had already sashed all of the novelty fabrics in both a print and the kona snow so all that was left was putting it all together.   And once I started, I just kept going.  Improv piecing with no specific plan is really my favorite way of piecing.  I just cut several strips of varying widths of kona snow and a handful of bright prints and then just randomly put it all together with the blocks.



Since I don't usually make quilts this large, I didn't have enough basting pins so instead I decided to thread baste and I think I will be doing so from now on.  For me, it didn't take any longer than pin basting and I really liked not having to worry about mistakenly sewing over the pins when quilting.


I decided to stick with FMQ swirly loops for the quilting and quilted the novelty prints a bit less than the rest of the quilt.  I used Aurifil 50wt in color 2600 - it is a light gray thread that I think works well with all the colors in this quilt.


I used the scrappy binding that I showed in this post.


And I used lots of bright, colorful prints for the back.


I really enjoyed having a big project that I could work on in bits and pieces when I had the time.  And now that it is finished, I've been thinking a lot about finding another project that I can slowly work on throughout the year.  Of course, my other daughters want their own version of this quilt but well, I reminded them that they also know how to sew!  Or maybe this could be something we can work on together!

Linking to A Lovely Year of Finishes and Crazy Mom Quilts.

49 comments:

  1. I love this so very much. It's made me completely rethink how to build my Polaroid quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous quilt! I love the gray thread for quilting. The effect is subtle and very pretty! I want this quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started saving novelty fabrics for my daughter! I love this quilt, no wonder your other kids want one too. Have you already written a post about thread basting? If not it's something I'd be interested in learning more about, and I'd like to see your method.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I think your improv skills are amazing! I can improv on a very small scale, but putting together a large quilt like this without a plan fills my analytical heart with fear ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out great. Improv is not so fun and easy for me but I love the look of this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your lovely quilt makes me smile. I absolutely adore it! What a great idea to frame the novelty prints and then use the Kona Snow. I have some of that in my stash! The bright pieced back goes perfectly. Thanks for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quilt! Love its originality!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth you do improv so beautifully. Spectacular quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wonderful and so interesting! Great Job!~!! I love the scrappy little picture frames~ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the random scrappy, happy look of this quilt. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh. My. Heart. I love every inch of this quilt. Spectacular in every way. I wonder if little by little I might accomplish something so wonderful and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderfully fun quilt! Any child would love it (and adults, too, for that matter). I really like that the front and back could both be the top of the quilt. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wauw. Your quilt is gorgeous. I tought about treath basting myself once, but I tought the treads would get in the way when machine quilting. How did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks fabulous Beth. I like the idea of having a large project bubbling away in the background too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absoltely beautiful Beth, but you could tell it was going to be special when I saw your work on it last week, I love a bit of improv, and really should do more- once again you've inspired me! : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seriously cool piecing. Lovely finish and one to be proud of, again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks great Beth! One of my friends had to thread baste too, and she said she loved it. I might have to try that next.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is one of my favourite quilts of all time! Seriously! Absolutely LOVE it. Too gorgeous for words x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! This is amazing..All the pict. squares, do they have 2 borders around them?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just great. I love how it keeps your eye moving all over it. Congrats on a job well done and getting it completed sooner than you originally planned.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful finish.. Very attractive to my eyes... you go girl...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow it's really fantastic. There are so many little squares that really catch my eye. She is such a lucky lil babe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a gorgeous quilt! This is such a great way to feature all those fun prints!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is gorgeous! I have some leftover novelty fabric from a story quilt I made and this is a great way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful quilt, Beth! Your daughter will have so much fun snuggling under it and looking at all the different prints (at least, that's what I would do!) The back is just perfect as well!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This quilt is "too cute". Love the piecing ~

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is beautiful and fun, Beth! I have been tempted to try thread basting. I'm too cheap to buy spray (though I love it) and the pins aren't doing it for me lately.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beth, this is so great. I LOVE it. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love how when things get going you go go go. Great finish and the quilting on it is sooo perfect.

    Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is magnificent! I would love to know how you thread basted - specifics would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is gorgeous Beth. I love it! I must try improv piecing. You do such wonderful work with it. I love the backing too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So much fun! I love seat-of-your-pants piecing too. SO much more fun than making sure everything is square! Hopefully your daughter can part with it long enough for show and tell!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Absolutely stunningly gorgeous!!! This quilt is simply too adorable for words, you did an amazing job Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Isn't it great when that mojo kicks in and things just move along :) Wonderful quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I LOVE the way this turned out, Beth! What a perfect quilt for a little girl's room!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is a very beautiful quilt. An amazing job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love this quilt! Is there a tute on putting different size blocks together? I don't know why I have trouble with this. Do you just make them eventually the same size and sew into rows? Anyway, adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma. Send me your email and I'll give you more specifics.

      Delete
  38. Fabulous. So many awesome fabrics and I love the the improv piecing. You did a great job Beth!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow! Fun and lovely! So impressed with all the different squares coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. i absolutely LOVE this quilt! I love the look of improv piecing. The randomness ( is that a word?? ) throughout the quilt makes it look so fun!

    -Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!