Sunday, May 5, 2013

Another Baby Quilt and the Link Up




I'm not really sure what to say about this baby quilt.  I started by pulling all the pink and yellow fabrics in my stash and making the 16-patch blocks (the squares finished at 2 1/2 inches.)


I originally planned on using Kona snow for the sashing but when I went through my stash to find it, I saw this blue solid (I'm not sure what color it is) and decided to use that instead.  The sashing strips are all 2". 


And since I wanted a rectangle shape, I added in the left over ends/scraps from when I trimmed the 16-patch blocks.


For the quilting, I wanted to use the flower motif from Angela Walter's Free-Motion Quilting book.  I started the first flower (you can see it if you look closely in the center of the above photo) and then decided to just keep making more rounds of that one flower resulting in just one big flower to cover the entire quilt.  I used Aurifil 2710 which is a light grayish blue so it blends really well with the blue fabric.  I really love experimenting with different types of quilting and would definitely use this again - either as a bunch of small flowers or as one big off-centered flower.


Yet again, the back the does not match the front at all.  But my daughter's love this back and think this is a 100% reversible quilt - which is so "nice" to hear considering the back took about 1/10th of the time to make as the front!!!




Plum and June

What have all of you been making lately?  

1. Link up any recent sewing/quilting post.
2. In your post or on your blog, please include either a text link or a button letting people know about this link up.
3. Visit at least the two bloggers who link up before you and everyone who visits you from this post.
4. When the link tool asks for your name, write down the name of your favorite quilting motifs or one you would like to try.




21 comments:

  1. I like the blue sashing! It's so much more of a "look" than the Snow would have been. A very cute little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pink and yellow together - it is indeed a very cute quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilt and reversible - twice the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the beautiful colors...front and back!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great color scheme, Beth, and those inserts between the larger squares are a really nice touch. I love the way it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet sweet quilt! I love how it's reversible! I just quilted those same flowers. What a great resource that book is. I tried a whole bunch of her designs and the flower was by far my favorite. I like how you just did one big flower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a lovely quilt but you didn't half make me laugh about the girls liking the back so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful sweet quilt! I'm working on my 6th quilt now, and it's my first 9-patch, and I'm having fun with the process. Thanks for the added inspiration! Should I try some FMQ on this, get real gutsy?? We'll see :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet quilt! I love the skinny bits on the front and the back is delightful. How can you go wrong putting strawberries, mushrooms and 'Oh, Deer!' together! Sashing with the blue is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very sweet and pretty baby quilt. Great idea for the quilting too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about my name up in the 'link'. I wasn't paying attention, once again! I love your baby quilt! I really think the idea of adding the leftovers from trimming your squares was ingenious. The back is delightful! I'd love to learn to do simple meandering.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of a completely reversible baby quilt - and this one is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous quilt, love the blue sashing and completely agree with your daughters about it being dual sided :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet quilt. I like your blue. Sometimes I feel like a coward to always be resorting to white.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What to say about this quilt? How about - it's awesome??! I especially love the fab double sashing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very lovely baby quilt. Thanks for sharing and hosting this inspiring linky party ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love the strips you used in the sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love reversible quilts too!! too cute - love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this quilt Beth. Fantastic fabric choices as always.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!