Tuesday, July 10, 2012

WIPs and an HST with a Twist Pillow


WIPS:  
1. Circle of Geese (from Kelly's blog hop post )
2. Pop bottles (used this pattern from sewtakeahike)
3. and 4. I now have 27 9" squares for my crazy nine patch that I wrote about last week.  



5. and 6.  As I think I've mentioned, I am participating in the Red, White, and Blue Blog Hop (I'm posting this Friday - these are not my red, white, and blue blocks.)  I unfortunately realized that I didn't have very much red in my stash but instead of buying more fabric, I decided to use a few squares from a charm pack of Vintage Modern.  I only wanted to use a tiny bit of the charm pack so I had to improvise and figure out a way to use only a couple of charms.  Surprisingly, I actually liked what I ended up with (I can't show it until Friday) so I decided to use some more of the Vintage Modern along with some Essex Linen to experiment with my new "pattern."



Well, since I only had one charm pack, I used that up pretty quickly so I opened my drawer of 5 inch squares, cut them into HSTs, and tried some more variations.  What do you think?  I took lots of pics of the process so I'll write up how I made them soon.  I'm not sure what to call it - something along the lines of  (Traditional) HSTs with a (Modern) Twist - maybe?






I decided to make this one into a pillow and to quilt it by hand - alternating between stitching inside and outside of the diamonds.  I need to do that more often as I love the look of hand stitching.  Now, I just need to find the correct size pillow form.







Wow - I never feel like I get a lot of sewing done until I put it all together in a post and realize that I did!  I'm excited to see what everyone else is up to so I'll be linking up and visiting at WIP Wednesday.  

If you haven't already, click here to catch up with the blog hop news including a thoughtful post by Kati of From the Blue Chair, a great fabric giveaway, the weekly calendar and the Monday link up.

22 comments:

  1. Wow you have been busy! Nice work on the paper piecing! Circle of Geese is one of my faves!

    The cushion looks great - lovely and bright! Sorry - no help with names. That's always a struggle for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so great, Beth! Love those pillows...so bright and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like Tipsy Triangles to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cushion and your geese circle rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a lot of stuff done and working on...i love that pillow. the hand stitching is so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I'm thinking "Boozy Squares". They look a little drunk! :) Plus, it's just fun to say boozy. I bet you'll be thinking boozy all day! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I'm dropping by from the WIP Wednesday link party.

    The pillow you made is so pretty. I'm looking forward to your Friday Red, White and Blue post so that I can see how you made the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those vintage modern blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got a lot done! I love all your projects. The colors on the pillow are so fresh and lovely. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE that pillow. So lovely. And the handstitching makes it even more amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cushion looks lovely and really fun. Super handstitching too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You created some beautiful things this week. I really love your vintage modern HS triangles. That is my favorite fabric line right now! The colors really pop against the linen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The new "pattern" turned out to be pretty cool. It is a defiantly a new twist on a broken dishes block.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love how the Vintage Modern blocks turned out! Such a fun, wonky design. That pillow is so great too. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great looking blocks! Red and purple seem to be missing from everyone's stash
    Love the pillow the twist on the HST looks good =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know how to make things "wonky" like that.
    I love the pillow, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love your pillow! I love HSTs and I especially like how you gave them a twist. I need to try that!

    Vicki @ Quilting Lodge

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pillow is beautiful - such lovely fresh colours and the twist gives it an extra something!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those Vintage Modern blocks are great, I love how you incorporated the Essex linen into them! The pillow is so pretty. I always love your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The pillow is so pretty - the hand quilting really adds the perfect texture. I love those pop bottles too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the prints. We used this block in our book and it was really fun to see all the designs you can create with it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your half square triangles with a modern twist look AWESOME. I love the hand stitching on the pillow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!