Friday, July 13, 2012

Red, White, and Blue Blog Hop - my turn


It is my turn on the RWB blog hop!



For my first block, I pulled all the red, white, and blue fabrics from my stash and this is all I could find. What to do, what to do???  How about an improv block!  I just started piecing the fabrics together and then added a star and some stripes at the end.


So, I liked it but felt it needed something - but what?  I tried some hand stitching.


Much better - well, at least I think so.  Um, except that little freehanded stitched star in the upper right corner - next time, I should draw it first and then stitch.

So, my block was finished with almost two weeks to spare - yay!  But then, the RWB blog hop began and you all were not only making wonderful blocks but LOTS of them!  I was inspired to make more - only problem was I had used up pretty much all my red fabric.  Fortunately, I remembered that I had recently received a charm pack of Vintage Modern which has reds in it - it wouldn't be a big deal to take two or three charms out of that pack, right?

This is what I made:




                               (I think this one also needs a bit of hand stitching!)



Hm, is there something wrong with this last picture?  I didn't even realize the mistake until I uploaded the photo for this blog post.



Much better! Well, I guess that is what my seam ripper is for!

For these blocks, I used a mix of traditional and modern techniques which resulted in a traditional block with a modern twist OR a modern block with a traditional twist, depending on your perspective!  I wrote more about this block here and I plan on writing a tutorial/pattern soon.

Want to enter this week's fabric giveaway?  Click here - it is open until Sat, July 14, 2012 at 8pm EDT).  For the details and/or if you are wondering about or are here for the Let's Get Acquainted Blog Hop, the Advice for New Bloggers series, the Let's Figure It Out Series,  or the Monday Link-up, click here.

Thanks for visiting!

And be sure to hop over to the other bloggers posting today for the RWB blog hop:









47 comments:

  1. Beth, you are so creative! I think I love the first improv block the most -- such a clever take on the flag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first block is really fun--your creativity is definitely inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greta blocks. And I do that all the time - not see the mistake until after I have posted the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vintage Modern fun but the Stash Stitching Stars - enjoyed visiting your site

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something amazing about all of these blocks, the picking of fabric is key, yours are amazingly good...not amazing as in surprised, amazing as in pretty darn inspiring lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful blcks! Love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful blocks. Thanks for participating in the bloghop. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Stars and Stripes block! And I think your fabric/color is right on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok so I just had to chuckle at your little Oops and thanks for sharing it. It is nice to know that most of us do this at some point or another.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your use of prints - red, white and blue are always a stand out. Judy C

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've not done any improv blocks yet but I love the way yours turned out so I think I must try it. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous block. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your fun blocks! So good to hop with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blocks and interesting techniques,thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your blocks : ) Relaxing and Nice : ) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your fun blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful blocks.the first one is my favorite!Thanks for sharing your tecniques!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great blocks and so fun to see your variations. I love my seam ripper, too, and I'm not embarassed to say I use it quite often. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Hop Day, Super fun blocks! I love your twist. That is what quilting is all about, making it fun and your own. I did not notice the mistake until you pointed it out, it could just be another twist! Thank you so much for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great blocks! I like your creativity and willingness to mix old and new. Thanks for participating in the hop and for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your creative, modern , RWB blocks! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great creativity....inprov blocks are the 'in' thing. It really makes it easy to 'make the quilt yours'...Great job!! Thanks for the inspiration and sharing in the blog hop!! Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great blocks. I think you did a great job. I love how red white and blue look together. What do you plan on making with your blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  24. It was so fun to watch your creation in progress! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such creativity - enjoying the Hop - thank you for sharing with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your blocks!!! My favorite is the first one you made. Love the embroidery you added!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the handwork you did on the first block..It definitely set off the rest of the block..Thank you for sharing...This blog has been so much fun..Meeting so many great new gals.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your blocks!!!! Very cheerful!!!! I have been following along with your get aquainted hop too Thanks for the fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think the hand stitching adds so much to your first block. And it's just my opinion, but I think it would help the star you're not so sure of to stitch it in a stronger color-either red or a deeper blue.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What great looking blocks! Hand stitching always looks much more effective than machine stitching. Ah the mistake, good thing seam rippers were invented =D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cool modern blocks, Beth! I love the handstitching you added. Where would we be without our seam rippers, right? LOL Mine is always at hand when I'm sewing. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Super fun, fresh, modern blocks... love the first one the best, especially the hand work! You´ve inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very creative blocks, love them.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great job! I love adding some hand stitching or embroidery to blocks. Thanks for sharing wih us.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your hand stitching, Beth! It really adds a nice touch! Are you going to make a quilt with these blocks or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love these! I love new twists on blocks - really pretty. I hope that you are going to post your finished product :)

    Beth Old Goat

    ReplyDelete
  37. nice blocks! waving hi from eastern north carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Cute blocks! I like that you improvise.

    ReplyDelete
  39. love your blocks and the fabric is gorgeous - love the flying geese block :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. So wonderful to meet you! Love your blocks and fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Like your creativity! Nice blocks! New follower.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!