Monday, March 18, 2013

Meet My Machine! blog hop

The Tilted Quilt meet My Machine Linky Party

Hi everyone!  Welcome to my stop on Stacey and Erin's Meet My Machine Blog Hop.  



I've just spent some time in my sewing space trying to get a decent photo to share.  However, the size of the space (approximately 5ft x 12ft), all the things in that space (sewing desk for me, child size table for my daughters, ironing board, and wide bookcase-type organizer thingamajig where I keep my fabric), that three sides are covered in windows (I sew in a tiny sunroom), and that my camera only has a 50mm prime lens (no zooming in or out), it appears that I won't be sharing any pics today!  Hmm, is that enough excuses?  Well, excuses plus a description!  But so that I don't have a completely picture-less post, I'll share some pics of what I've made using my new machine.



Anyway, the reason you are reading this is to hear about my sewing machine.  If you were reading my blog last summer/fall, you might remember that I wrote a lot about sewing machine problems and was constantly on a search for an upgrade.  I don't know the model number of my first machine - it was purchased way before I actually started sewing (almost 10 years before!) when I thought I would use it to make curtains (I never did but I did make a pillow cover!) and sat in a box until my oldest daughter showed an interest in sewing (about 4 or 5 years ago.)  It was just a basic mechanical machine that worked great for basic sewing and I even straight line quilted some smaller quilts on it.



However, when I became more serious about sewing (December 2011), I bought a computerized machine online that came with both a walking foot and a free motion quilting foot.  I was so excited but I had problems with it from day one - fortunately, I was able to return it for a full refund so I took out my old mechanical to use again.  By this point, I had started blogging and meeting people who actually owned sewing machines so I began paying attention to what people wrote about their machines and began seeking advice.  



Ultimately, I bought the Juki 2010q and I LOVE IT!  The Juki is a mechanical machine that only does straight stitch but it really has everything I need!  It is awesome for free motion quilting (it also has speed control - you choose the speed by moving a little tab toward a tortoise or a hare!!!) and has needle down and a thread cutter!  Oh, and it came with an extension table that I leave on all the time.  



There have been exactly two times when I would have liked to have been able to zig zag stitch - once to secure the edges of the linen for the Woodland Sampler and once when I wanted to machine stitch the binding the way I did way back when (in early 2012.)  As for the binding, not having the zig zag option just forced me to learn a new method (learning new things is always good, right?) and I just straight stitched around the linen a few times which seems to be working so far. 

One more thing about the Juki - it does not technically have a free arm but I've still been able to sew bags on it so I wouldn't say that is something I miss (at least not yet!)



So, overall I am extremely happy with my sewing machine!  Despite its lack of fancy features, I don't find it lacking at all!  It really has everything I need and I have no plans for purchasing an additional machine (though I have thought about possibly getting a serger at some point in the not so near future.) One disclaimer here, though - my daughters have their own sewing machine (an inexpensive computerized Brother bought when my old mechanical machine stopped working) and though I haven't used it since I bought the Juki, that option is always there if I wanted to use a fancy stitch or needed a true free arm machine.  And I'll probably start bringing it my guild's sewing days (not that I actually do much sewing there!) because their little machine is way easier to travel with than the Juki!

Here is the blog hop schedule and click here to link up a post about your machine!


SUNDAY, MARCH 17

MONDAY, MARCH 18

TUESDAY, MARCH 19

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 20

THURSDAY, MARCH 21

FRIDAY, MARCH 22

26 comments:

  1. Thanks a bunch for sharing with us! I just love hearing everyone's machine story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that at the end of the day most of us could do remarkably well with a machine that just straight stitched. So many of the bells and whistles on my machine are never used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Latvia all of the small dressmaker and alteration shops used Juki machines, so I guess they are built to last!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this. If/when I upgrade I'm definitely tempted to get a basic straight stich semi-industrial machine, rather than something complicated with a zillion ways to make a button hole! I'll look up Jukis :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great that you found a machine to suite your needs...getting lemons is definitely not fun! Thanks for sharing and linking up at the blog hop today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of a Juki before! Pfaffs were about the only machines sold in the shop here when I went to get mine, which I'm happy with, but I've heard good things about Jukis. Love your quilts, especially the blue one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! I have heard great things about Jukis.
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I just got a Juki TL 2010 Qi, and haven't been able to find a quarter-inch foot with a guide... did you find one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, all of this eye candy is practically making me drool!!! Here's where I blogged about my machine today- http://meandelna.blogspot.com/2013/03/meet-elna-and-her-crib.html . :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came thisclose to buying your model of Juki, but ended up going with my new Janome. They're basically the same machine, though, and I LOVE mine! If I need to zig-zag, I'll go over to my mom's house where she has the little $200 Brother I bought for her last Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have heard wonderful things about the Juki. Enjoy. i am currently sewing on a Pfaff creative 2 with an embroidery attachment and love it. Thanks for sharing.
    bonnielarson58@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing.. Your Juki has produced some lovely quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She sounds like a great machine. I think I'd miss the zig zag stitch as I like to do zig zag applique - but your girls' machine is a good back up for that kind of thing. I think it's wonderful they want to sew, wish my stepdaughter would show an interest in something creative rather than just facebook and make up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why, hello Juki, you gorgeous thang you!!! I'm so glad I organized this hop - it's been so awesome learning about everyone's machines, and a lot of people have commented on how they've been thinking of a new machine but haven't been able to decide - hopefully we'll all help them!
    Thank you so much for participating in this hop, girl! We really appreciate it, and we hope you had fun!
    xo
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is great to finally meet your new machine. Sounds like a great machine. She is a beauty! My Janome came with an extension table and I do too leave it on all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you finally got a machine you love!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just bought the same machine last month, and I love it! She is beautiful, will stitch over everything, and just feels invincible! I might name her my "Heavy Metal Mama!" :

    ReplyDelete
  18. You must get some great light sewing in a sunroom! Thanks for sharing your machine with us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great insight into the Juki! If I ever decide to have two machines, I'll look into one like this… It looks like you've done beautiful work with it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm looking for a new machine to upgrade to so I've been following this blog hop. I really love your quilts though, they are so adorable. I wish I can make some of that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love seeing all of the quilts you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love my Juki as well!!!
    I keep my old machine around for the zig zag and button holer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have heard wonderful reviews on the juki so I can understand why you love your machine . I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing with us :-)

    ktreve (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  25. That Juki looks great, I have a few friends who quilt with a similar Juki and those puppies sew FAST! Love seeing all the little snippets of your quilts and projects!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!