Thursday, October 18, 2012

Patchwork Squares Quilt



After seeing all the low-volume quilts around blog land lately, I was inspired to make my own.  I went through my small but growing stash and pulled out everything I thought qualified as low-volume.  Then, since I wasn't planning on making a quilt for a tiny doll, I added some fabrics that kind-of qualified as low-volume.  I cut them into 5" squares, stitched a few together and put a picture on Instagram asking if it was looking low-volume or baby - well, the answer from my IG friends was pretty unanimous that it was baby - oh, well!  


So, I'll try low-volume again in a few months when I have some different fabrics in my stash but fortunately, my middle daughter who has been patiently waiting for me to make her a quilt for cuddling loved this fabric combination.  


We kept choosing fabrics and adding squares until it was her perfect size - we included some darker prints at the end.  And she requested a cozy flannel backing.


I think this is the largest quilt I've ever made and for some reason, I decided to do some free-motion quilting.  Well, after three rows of completely awful quilting and an evening of unpicking, I sat down to hand-quilt it.  I figured I'd ask my daughter if she had a preference for floss colors and she told me that she would like to do the hand-quilting herself!


I wasn't exactly sure of the best way to do this but for some reason, I decided to first add the binding  to the quilt.


Then, since I wanted my basting pins back, I machine-quilted a few of the squares randomly throughout the quilt.


She is now very slowly hand-quilting the squares - she told me her goal is one square each day - so,  yes, it will be awhile!  But at least it will keep her warm in the meantime!


And while I'm on the subject of sewing for my middle daughter, I tested this adorable paper pieced pattern for Kristy from Quiet Play.  She just listed this one in her Craftsy shop.  And, I was totally inspired by the other pattern tester, my friend Heidi from Fabric Mutt, whose idea it was to use a text print for the fence! 



And last, but so not least - a few weeks ago, I got the most wonderful emails from Kerry from veryberrykerry and Ali of Very Berry Fabrics informing me that I was going to be receiving 20 9x12 pieces of this beautiful Liberty Lawn fabric from Ali's lovely Folksy shop Very Berry Fabrics!  Any suggestions for what I should make with these beauties???

Linking up to TGIFF which is at Echinops and Aster this week and Crazy Mom Quilts.





30 comments:

  1. I think that is neat that your daughter is going to try to hand quilt this quilt that you made for her. I have a granddaughter that tried to make a doll quilt last year - I ended up helping her (finishing it) but she enjoyed working on it - I just don't know if she will ever want to do another - she sure loves quilts though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laid out my charm squares of low volume fabrics and am short quite a few but am expecting a bunch from a swap. I love that your daughter is quilting. Such lovely fabrics in each quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm liberty! I would make a liberty quilt for sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely quilt! And so precious that your daughter is hand quilting it herself!! Well done her and well done you for inspiring her :) And that house mini is gorgeous, isn't Kristy clever? I love her patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful patchwork! I especially like that your daughter is going to do the hand quilting herself. :) Whatever you make with your Liberty bundle will be gorgeous I'm sure. Personally I always think a quilt is in order. ;) Thanks for linking up to TGIFF too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a lovely quilt. I love you fabric choices and the colors. It is amazing that your daughter is quilting it herself, it will make it even more special. I saw your mini quilt on instagram this afternoon, it is so cute.
    Congratulations on your new fabric I read on Kerry's blog about it. All the prints are gorgeous, it think a quilt will be geat with those beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is so beautiful, Beth!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a beautiful quilt! And great thinking for binding and some small bit of machine quilting. That'll hold it nicely together for her while she hand quilts... aw that's just so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that quilt and I'm amazed that your daughter will be hand quilting it herself! I'm sure it'll turn out great!

    Your paper piecing block looks fantastic. Gorgeous Liberty fabrics too - maybe a simple patchwork quilt? It'll look fabulous with those prints!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the quilt!!! I have often wondered what the definition of "low-volume" was too - but in any case, this turned out lovely! I love that your daughter is hand quilting!!! Makes even more fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it is so cool she is hand quilting it. I hope my daughter likes to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great collaboration for the quilt. It is beautiful and love that she is hand stitching it herself. Definitely something to be super proud of when she is done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous makes!! I made a patchwork girls quilt this week too! How fun that your daughter is stitching and the house is brilliant - love those girls in the window! I would definitely do some EPP with the Liberty :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a lovely quilt and will clearly have a very loving owner!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty quilt! I love how she decided it to quilt it herself! You did a really good job of getting it ready for her and making sure she could still use the quilt while quilting it.

    Your house block is so cute! Good luck with that gorgeous Liberty fabric! It would make such a beautiful quilt. I would probably just keep it on a shelf and take it down to admire it every once and a while LOL! Some fabrics are so hard to cut into!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this quilt, really adorable. Really wonderful fabrics, so soft!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this quilt, really adorable. Really wonderful fabrics, so soft!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good for your daughter! She will love the quilt even more ; )

    ReplyDelete
  19. How great that your daughter wants to hand quilt, the beginning of life-long addiction? Love your mini quilt the text fence is really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, your daughter is hand quilting her quilt? How cool is that, I love that quilt, it's so pretty and girly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I looove your daughter's semi-low-volume quilt. And her hand quilting. The liberty would make really cute place mats, even though that's probably not the best use for them...

    ReplyDelete
  22. It`s great that your daughter likes to hand quilt. I was pleased to see many young girls displaying quilts at our local quilt show. Your paper pieced pattern is so cute. I just love it! Thanks for the great post and I enjoy the links to the wonderful fabric shops.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loving the quilt. I am completely kicking myself for not signing up to the Low Volume Charm Swap.
    Wow to all that gorgeous Liberty Lawn. Surely it's got to be some EPP hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that she's quilting it herself and it looks so snuggly and warm, such a lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love that quilt and that your quilting it together. The house block is aslo fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beth, the quilt is beautiful. I love the sweet simplicity of patchwork squares and your fabric choices are so lovely. I think low-volume is often in the eye of the beholder. If you think it is low-volume, then it is ;) I love that your daughter is quilting it herself...you are creating a life-long love of stitching in her :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beth, I love everything that you posted about! As for the Liberty fabrics there would be your chance to make that low volume quilt. Even though the colors are a bit bright.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Its a lovely quilt though not low volume isn't..hehe..I want to try low volume someday when my stash of low volume is enough.. It's so great that you daughter is already showing interest..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!