Friday, October 25, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival


Which do you choose first - fabric or design/pattern?  For me, the two are usually intertwined but recently I've been making some quilts specifically for birch fabrics so the fabric collection is decided first.


When working with a fabric collection, I usually let the fabrics dictate the design but for this quilt, made with Elk Grove, I decided to try to make it work with an idea I've been wanting to try.  I had sketched a color block/novelty print combo quilt a few months ago and while this quilt is very different from that original drawing in both the placement and number of prints, it definitely has the same overall look I was imagining. 


I quilted it with wavy organic lines running the length of the quilt.  I have actually become much more used to FMQ this year so going back to straight line quilting - especially on a quilt this size - was actually a bit challenging.



But the big news is that this quilt and a couple of others that I made (this and this) are actually at Quilt Market right now in the birch fabrics booth.  This is really exciting for me as I never imagined that I would ever have anything on display there!  


I'm not really sure what category to put this in for the festival so I am going to choose quilt photography.  I just took these photos in my backyard where I take most of my quilt photos but since I have committed this year to improving my photography skills through the Quilt Photography Workshop that I am hosting on my blog, I thought that would be the most appropriate category for me.

Linking to the Blogger's Quilt Festival.

25 comments:

  1. it's a lovely little quilt! Congratulations on having it at Market - that's really exciting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Market, to Market to buy a fat quarter, congratulations on having this lovely quilt on display at the Market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations it is a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt and the photos truly are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo! That's awesome Beth! It's a gorgeous quilt and I always love your photography.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on having your quilts in a display at market!! This is such a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a fun quilt. And congrats on having your quilts at quilt market, how totally wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How thrilling to be part of Quilt Market - congrats. I just love this line of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pics of this quilt and woo hoo for it being at quilt market!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a pretty quilt. my design process really varies. If there is a line of fabric I just love, I'll buy it without thinking of a pattern, but If I need a quilt for a specific purpose, I usually choose the pattern first. lately, I've been trying to pull from my stash as much as possible, so sometimes that can go either way. I might vary one or the other to make it work.

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  11. you completely deserve to have your quilts at quilt market - well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting to have your quilts in the Birch booth! That is a gorgeous quilt. I agree, I really need to have an idea of fabrics before I can decide on design, they are definitely intertwined.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have such talent in putting schemes together. I love how you combine patterns in a relaxing and exciting to look at way. I worry if i have many patterns it will look too busy, but you have shown us here how good it can look expertly conceived.
    I tend to buy the fabrics that catch my eye and think of the final design later. I keep a stash of plains handy at all times too, to add contrast.
    Love your work, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the modern feel to this. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on having them at quilt market you must be pleased, great quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting that they're at Market, well done! I know that they were made to show off the print, but I really love the use of solids here, it works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your quilt being at the Birch Fabric booth! What fun! Now I'm off to look at your Quilt Photography Workshop because I need help with that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely - great way to show off those Birch fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet little quilt! The fabric is wonderful and full of "life"!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your quilt and the photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on having this a quilt market, it is so cute. And your photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a cute quilt and the design is perfect to highlight the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You know I love all your quilts, Beth. Great choices for the festival!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!