I just wrote and then purposefully deleted a very long blog post about this quilt because I figured I could say the same thing with way less words but this post still seems very long!
So, here is the somewhat shortened version: at the end of 2013, I spotted a sale on the new AMH fabric so I ordered a few 1/2 yards for my stash. When they arrived both of my older daughters loved the fabrics and wanted them to be used, not stored. Next thing I know, all of my AMH fabrics are out and my oldest is making a "huge" quilt for herself (Note: I have no out of print or hard to find AMH fabrics so I'm not being as generous as it might sound.)
My 10 year old mostly made the quilt by herself - I helped cut a few of the squares (but even with my help there was no rotary cutting involved in the process of making this quilt top - no way am I letting a rotary blade anywhere near those tiny hands!!!)
So the squares all vary slightly in size and most of the seams don't match but she loves it and I think she did a great job!
The quilt top was about 60" x 60" so I had the idea that if I quilted a few randomly placed horizontal lines that it would make the quilting more manageable for her. However, I must have quilted too many lines because when she went to quilt it, she decided that she liked it as is - she might have added another line or two but that was about it - oops! Next time I say that I'll just quilt a few lines to stabilize it for her, I'll just quilt a "few" lines.