Friday, April 20, 2012

An HST Doll Quilt


I finally tried making Half Square Triangles and now I know what all the fuss is about!  They really are fun and easy to put together.  Whoever came up with the right sides together, draw a line down the middle, sew two lines, and cut was genuis!

I used this charm pack from the "big order" from months ago that I had regrettably prewashed.



Made one and squared it:


Made many more and squared them:


Then I just started arranging and rearranging and mixed in some of the now completely gone solid yardage that I had in my stash (actually, I had to cut some off one of my WIPs - Yikes!)

And, the Sun and Water Blocks doll quilt was born (have I mentioned that my kids name the quilts???)

I'm again not sure this is exactly my aesthetic but I guess my aesthetic is growing.  And I really enjoyed the HST method so I think when my new fabric order comes, I'll make another one.

This was another doll-sized, stroller-size quilt.  I like making this size because it can be done in a few nap times, allows me to experiment with new techniques, and it is actually the most practical size for me right now - great for the stroller and floor for the baby AND great for my older girls for their dolls and for gifts for other little girls who love getting things for their dolls.


Linking up to Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict,  Finish it Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts, and Sew and Tell Friday at Amylouwho.



20 comments:

  1. I love the colors you used! If your girls are anything like mine, I'm sure it will be well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really pretty! I have 2 little girls so "doll size" is widly popular in my house. I've made a few "snuggle size quilts" (crib size, I guess) to give as gifts for my daughters' friends and when I'm feeling super ambitious (and if I have leftover fabric), I sometimes make a doll size quilt to go with it, so there's one for the little girl and a matching one for a favorite baby doll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, bright & cheerful. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilt, having 3 boys my scope for doll quilts was nil, so now I am banking on grandchildren to fill that gap someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! There is an even easier method to make them actually
    http://www.stitcherydickorydock.com/2011/07/hst-trick-its-not-cheating-its-genius.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute!! I love the polka dots. :) :)

    Cheers!
    Rachel
    Scrapendipity Design

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Beth, it looks gorgeous! Am making HST using the method you've mentioned too for a quilt along. I love seeing all the things you've made using bright and cheerful fabrics. Looking forward to seeing more wonderful thingsf you'll be making. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fantastic. I have tried making HST in all kinds of ways and I always come back to the method you just described.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you tried it! Great colors and very modern. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really pretty. Love that you made them without a plan. It sure worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great quilt, Beth!! And I love the one HST turned a different direction - just the right touch! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fab!! I'm addicted to HST's!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute and fun quilt! HST's are addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Beth, I have enjoyed reading your blog since finding you through the Small Blog Meet at Lily's Quilts. So I am pleased to present you with the Liebster Blog Award! I was awarded it yesterday, you can see the details at: http://chezroo.blogspot.ca/2012/04/i-read-my-emails-this-morning-to.html. I love the HSTs, keep up the great work on your blog! Yzo

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a really eye catching little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the way you arranged the colors. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am beginning to love the modern quilt style. It really makes you think of the colors and composition. Great little quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!